Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gin and Tonic.

In Australia, they are considering about raising the legal drinking age to 21. Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with that. I only drink at functions and events. I am responsible and will never go over the top with alcohol. But the problem is not me.

The problem is society.

I can already picture protests and rebellions by teenagers against the government, with a heightened spark in crime rates which may include theft and robbery of alcohol and fraudulent identification. I cannot see the piece of legislation working. I only see it failing once it starts to kick in. The police may be able to catch and target certain people, but people will think of new and clever ways of getting alcohol.

Maybe I am wrong and it will work. But once enough teenage people get jailed, will the government realise the legislation is only causing more crime instead of better education of the matter.

We shall wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment